Tuesday 9 August 2011

In search of that perfect dress

Did I mention that participants are due to have a farewell function on the 24th August in Taipei where we get to meet the Taiwanese President?

In the spirit of promoting New Zealand, I went in search of that perfect dress from that perfect New Zealand designer with 2 of my girlfriends last weekend, and it wasn't long till I found what I was looking for.

I have to admit when I first arrived in New Zealand, I found its fashion uninspiring - with many prêt-à-porter pieces geared towards the Nanny McPhee brigade. Choice was limited due to New Zealand's geographical disadvantage and international brands were scarce.

Having said that, the New Zealand fashion scene has since grown by leaps and bounds. Although still somewhat removed from the rest of the fashion world, it is now a microcosm of originality, and lacks the pretentiousness of some international designers. Like the Kiwis themselves, there is a feeling of warmth and genuineness in some of these creations. I am no Anna Wintour, but here are some popular Kiwi designers worth a look:



Much loved in New Zealand, Trelise Cooper is one of this country's most notable fashion exports. Having featured in the likes of Vogue and Marie Claire, her creations have also been featured in Sex and the City and on celebrities such as Julia Roberts, the Pussycat Dolls, Stevie Nicks, Liv Tyler and even little Suri Cruise. 




Whimsical and chic, I find Karen Walker refreshing and edgy. Her creations have been spotted on Alexa Chung, Sienna Miller, Tyra Banks and Theodora Richards, amongst others. I love, love, love that yellow skirt, which was also featured in this year's Royal New Zealand Ballet's Stravinsky Selection ad campaign! Whilst dress-hunting at Karen Walker, I had a hard time deciding whether to buy a beautiful blue chiffon dress that draped in all the right places. My wallet will be forever grateful I returned it to the rack.



Having honed her skills with Zambesi, Helen Cherry launched her line in 1997 and can now be found in all 5 Workshop stores in New Zealand. Loving her Summer 2011-2012 collection!



In this Overland ad campaign for Summer 2010, Annah Stretton's dress from her Chameleon collection is being modelled. I've tried this, and love it for its versatility. The Chameleon can be worn in so many different ways, is reversible and is a collage of sumptuous pieces of fabric.

There are way too many designers to blog about, but these are the few notable ones. So where did I find my dress? ... at none other than Annah Stretton! I have a quirky sense of fashion - not always conventional and not always fashionably acceptable, but I absolutely adore the dress I found!

Here's a sneak peek (I went home to put my feet up by the fire - apologies for the bad lighting), but you'll just have to wait till the 24th August to find out!




No comments:

Post a Comment