Monday 22 August 2011

Kaohsiung, Day Two - Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Art and Liuhe Night Market

Firstly, my humble apologies for being slack with blogging. I've been travelling lots and haven't always been privy to good internet connection, so I will be blogging retrospectively from here on out.

So here are the last bits of my second day in Kaohsiung.

Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts

Pleasantly surprised to find Modigliani being exhibited, though I always thought his bourgeois-hating ways were a little on the extreme side.
Blind people giving massages at the park outside the museum. As they are blind, I was told that this is one of the few occupations available to them. Anyone fancy an open air massage at a public park?
At Liuhe Night Market in Kaohsiung. Frogs lying with their guts open. Vendors say this is fresh - sure it's fresh, a little too "fresh" maybe?!
My host grandmother originated from Tainan, the oldest city in Taiwan - "dan zhai mian" is synonymous with Tainan, and I tried some at this quaint stall at Liuhe Night Market.
Mangoes are in season at the moment, and this was as delicious as it looks.  
I was also very excited to see salepi dondurma (turkish ice cream) at Liuhe. The first time I saw salepi dondurma was in the streets of Bangkok. Original salepi dondurma stretches, and does not melt as fast as normal ice cream. It also sticks to the cone. Salepi dondurma and its properties were also discussed at the molecular gastronomy lecture I went to before going to Taiwan. Scientists are trying to replicate salep as harvesting the plant is proving non-sustainable. I found the vendor highly entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment