Monday 29 August 2011

Tainan, Day Four - Zongzi and Fort Provintia "chih-kan lou"

So it was time for lunch and the friendly taxi driver tells/signals to me in chinese to eat at this place which is famous for its zongzi, or bachang. I "signal" back that I'd be game, thankful for my basic grasp of chinese and new-found "sign language". 

The famous zongzi shop - not sure what it's called, but maybe if you read Chinese you can tell me?
The signature dish. It was delish! The glutinous rice was just at the right consistency, moist and not dry. The mushroom was to die for... Best zongzi/bacang I've ever had.
Narrow cobbled streets in Tainan.

After a satisfying lunch, I was ready to visit Fort Provintia, or "Chih-Kan Lou". It was built in 1653 by the Dutch and was subsequently surrendered to Koxinga. The place was beautiful, but felt very little like a fort to me. I climbed to the top of the tower and kept trying to find the sea. Maybe the shoreline was different back then...

Front of Fort Provintia.
Pretty bridge over a koi pond.
Underneath the fort.

By a jar shaped door - in Chinese, the word for jar is "Ping" which also means safety. Here I am being framed by a jar shaped door. Think I'll be safe for the rest of the year.

Loving the distressed wood and its faded colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment