Thursday 4 August 2011

One week to go and all I can think of is food

In a weeks' time I will be jetsetting my way across the Pacific to Taiwan; from Wellington - Auckland - Hong Kong - Taipei... and what have I prepared? The simple answer is this... not much. I've got my e-ticket and I've gotten in touch with my lovely host, Paul Ou. With work commitments, I have hardly the time to give any preparations justice.

So in preparing for this trip, I naturally sought the opinion of friends, acquaintances, strangers with any remote connection to Taiwan... The most common recommendations are "you've not been to Taiwan until you've tried the chau tau fu (fermented tofu)!", "the street food at their nightmarkets are to die for!", "you have to have that oyster dish... I can't remember what it's called, but it's mouthwatering!", "pineapple tarts!" Notice a theme here? Yes, it is all about the KAI (for non-Kiwis, this means food in Maori).

I will preface this by saying that while I will be the first to admit my love of food, I do intend to do more than just gorge myself. (Of course, this statement has nothing to do with the fact that it is summertime in Taiwan and I refuse to look like a pug stuffed in an itsy bitsy, teeny weeny, tiny yellow, polka dot bikini... )

That said, it is impossible NOT to eat out at this time of year. Given - it is wintertime but Wellington goes gastronomic in August with Visa's Wellington on a Plate! Touted as New Zealand's premier culinary festival, it sees more than 100 of the region's finest eateries offer special lunchtime set menus and fantastic dining options. Think chocolate degustation menus, fashionable high teas, fine wines... with over 80 culinary events being run in conjunction with this, dieting is simply not an option.

... so I went and booked myself into the only event that does not require food passing through my lips - A Plate of Molecules - Chemical Gastronomy - not because I was making sure to give Adriana Lima a run for her money in a swimsuit, but because I have a genuine fascination for molecular gastronomy. I could watch Heston Blumenthal cook up crazy ideas all day, and I am looking forward to observing Professor Kent Kirshenbaum of New York University give his lecture demonstration on the chemistry and physics of food.

Never fear for my tummy however! Before I board that flight to Taiwan, I will be sure to have sampled more than my fair share of specially crafted menus ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment